Thursday, September 25, 2014

#4.8: Read 25 New Books, #6.3: Read BuzzFeed's 21 Best YA Books of 2013 – The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Listing reading BuzzFeed's 21 Best YA Books of 2013 may have been a mistake; I'll have to read a lot more than I was originally intending to, and it's keeping me from rereading certain books that I haven't in a while (i.e. Harry Potter).

BUT that's why it's called a challenge, right?

I picked The Coldest Girl in Coldtown off the list to read because it wasn't part of a series (there are a lot of books on that list that are the second or third book in a series, and obviously I'm going to have to read whatever books precede those, so once again, I'm going to have to read a loooooot).

A little background about my reading preferences: I am not one for fantasy or sci-fi. The only exception to this is the Harry Potter series, which I've read 10 times and am still obsessed with. I like books about romance. I like books about people my age. I like books that are funny. I like stories that are real, in the sense that they could feasibly (or unfeasibly, whatever) happen.

Back to the book.


"Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mixture of predator and prey. The only problem is, once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.

One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself.

The Coldest Girl in Coldtown is a wholly original story of range and revenge, of guilt and horror, and of love and loathing from bestselling and acclaimed author Holly Black."


Spoiler alert: it's about vampires. That initially turned me off, and I had a hard time getting into the story, but once there was romance happening, I was ALL IN. I thought the book ended in the middle of what could have been a great opportunity for even more romance, and there really was a lack of closure. Maybe this means there'll be a sequel? I sure hope so.


Thanks for reading, no one!

No comments:

Post a Comment