Thursday, December 4, 2014

#18.1: Make 10 DIY Projects – Advent Calendar

101 in 1001 

It's no secret that I really like Christmas. I'm a pretty festive person, especially October through December, and Christmas is without a doubt my favorite holiday. My birthday is actually on Christmas Day (I know, I'm better than you), so that may have something to do with it.

I figured out what advent calendars are last year, and by the time I realized how cool they were, it was too late to make one. The idea to make one popped into my head again after I saw this video on YouTube. It seemed fairly easy, and I liked how you could customize it however you wanted.

I actually didn't realize that making this fits in with my 101 in 1001 challenge, and didn't take any pictures of the whole crafting process. But here it is anyway:




The pouches are made from cardboard tubes (I used empty wrapping paper rolls, but paper towel or toilet paper rolls work just as well). To decorate them, I used Christmas-themed washi tape, ribbon, silver and gold glittered paper that I cut into various, Christmasy shapes, scrapbook embellishments, and different gift tags. The black tags are actually chalkboard tags. Each pouch was filled with chocolate and a little tag with a different holiday activity:



These were from the first three days that we already opened:



 And here are all the tags close up:







 It took me a while to figure out how I was going to hang it up. At first, I was just going to use twine, but all the pouches just stupidly collected in the middle when I tried to hang it up. Then, after unpacking the christmas decorations, I saw that we had an extra yard of this greenery (wth is the name for it?). I put it on the wall and hung each pouch like an ornament. Here's how it looked the night right after I hung it up (do a shot for every 'hung/hang' in this paragraph):




I think it turned out alright. I've never really done a DIY type thing like this before, and I learned a lot from it. What do you think? What's your favorite pouch/day on my calendar?


Thanks for reading, no one!

Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment