Friday, January 9, 2015

I Read Some Books

101 in 1001    BuzzFeed's 21 Best YA Books of 2013



I read a lot of books (I am better than you!), and I'm praying to the literature gods that I'm not forgetting any.




The Perks of Being a Wallflower: #15




"After his friend commits suicide, smart misfit Charlie is trying to learn to "participate" in life. He befriends a group of interesting older kids who introduce him to partying, but also respect his sensitivity. In letters that Charlie writes to an anonymous stranger, he talks about his family, his friends, and his complicated, often overwhelming, feelings about growing up. Eventually, his longtime crush tells him that he "can't just sit there and put everybody's life ahead of yours and think that counts as love," and he slowly learns to be present in his life."


My friend Jessica knows I read like a madwoman, so she lent this to me thinking I would like it.

I was a bit taken aback when I started reading this; the writing seemed juvenile, rigid and stiff. My immediate thought was "Wow, this is terrible." But then, I realized that this is how the writing was supposed to be; a 14 year old is writing these letters, I shouldn't be expecting Hemmingway. After this dawned on me, I knew that Stephen Chbosky is a genius.

I also think that the way it was written makes the story that much more chilling. This kid is just stating what happens in his letters, and is very blunt about his feelings towards these events, if mentioning them at all. It's almost as if Charlie is scared of everything that life is throwing at him, or doesn't really know what's happening. I don't know, I had a thought that was clear in my head.

Overall, I was so impressed with this book. It really was fantastic, a hauntingly beautiful story. Now I can finally see the movie!




This Song Will Save Your Life: #16; #10



"Elise Dembowski is not afraid of a little hard work. In fact, she embraces it. All her life, she's taken on big, all-encompassing projects. When she's fifteen, she embarks on the biggest, and most important, project of them all: becoming cool: Except she fails. Miserably. And everything falls to pieces.

Now, if possible, Elise's social life is even worse than it was before. Until she stumbles into an underground dance club and opens the door to a world she never knew existed. An inside-out world where, seemingly overnight, a previously uncool high school sophomore can become the hottest new DJ sensation. Elise finally has what she's always wanted: acceptance, friendship, maybe even love. Until the real world threatens to steal it all away.

In a refreshingly genuine and funny voice, Leila Sales delivers an exuberant novel about identity, relationships, and the power of music to bring people together."


This was such a cute story, and really unique; I can honestly say that I've never read a book about DJing before. It was empowering, watching Elise find herself; maybe that's just because I relate to her a lot.




Just One Day: #17; #11



"When sheltered American good girl Allyson first encounters laid-back Dutch actor Willem at an underground performance of Twelfth Night, there's an undeniable spark. So when fate brings them together a second time, Allyson takes an uncharacteristic leap, changes course, and follows Willem to Paris. After just one day together, the spark bursts into a flame . . . until Allyson wakes up after a whirlwind day shocked to discover that Willem is gone.

A life upended in one day turns into a year of self-discovery as Allyson embarks on a journey to break free from a lifetime of limits in order to find her true passions, and maybe even a true love."


Holy f&*@ this was such a good book. I finished it within a few days, and, after I found out that there's a second book from Willem's point of view, immediately put it on hold at the library.

This book was funny, sexy, romantic, witty, and I related to Allyson so much. I'd sell my soul to play her in a movie version.



Thanks for reading, no one!

Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment